A quick poll recently showed that many people want to know how to tie a bow tie. The bow tie knot is a relatively simple tie knot. As a matter of fact, if you know how to tie your shoelaces properly, you won’t find this difficult. However, the first time might make the task seem so daunting. Just chill and keep at it three or four more times and you’ll master it.
Read more about the Bow Tie below.
Here is the step by step guide with videos and image infographics on how to tie a bow tie. You’ll find the infographic below
- Place the tie on your neck. Remember, we are using a bow-shaped tie and not the conventional tie. Make sure one end is longer than the other.
- Cross the longer end over the shorter end and pass it through the top from the back.
- Place the shorter side in position and pull down the longer side over from the top. It should cross the short one in the middle just like in the video below.
- Pass the longer end behind the shorter end through the loop there. Make sure the center is in position.
- Adjust the tie by pulling opposite ends of the tie.
Learn how to tie other tie knot types in our comprehensive guide.
Here’s the video tutorial that shows how easy it is to get this done.
When to wear bow ties
Bow ties can be worn to any formal occasion you deem fit. Whether it be a formal party, an evening dinner or a gala night, it’s perfect for any event. However, it is important to note that they are much more appropriate for events that require the white and black color codes. This doesn’t restrict you from trying other bowties colors.
Types of bow ties
- The Standard butterfly bow tie otherwise called the thistle tie.
- The Large butterfly bow tie
- The Diamond Point bow tie
- The Batwing bow tie
- The Rounded Club bow tie