Silver and Gold I do not have, nor do I have any of the latest luxury watches for men to give you. I’ve only got this nicely packaged guide for buying men’s watches, please take it… I give it to you with all my heart.
One of the many things people tend to notice apart from your clothes and your shoes is the wrist watch on your hand. If it looks expensive, they’ll probably assume you are rich and vice versa.
Buying men’s watches can be a not-so-easy task given the fact that there are various magnificent brands of luxury men’s watches available at any watch shop you walk into, some cheap, others expensive.
Well, not to worry… By the time you’re done digesting the contents of this article, you’ll know what to look out for when buying a watch for a man.
Hey, you should check out the 29 most expensive watches ever made.
Without further ado, let’s proceed.
Guide For Buying Watches For Men In 2017
First, we’ll look at a few of the types of watches we have…
It is important to note that watches may be classified based on their features and complications. We wouldn’t be classifying the types of watches available based on any of those, rather a general list of the different types of watches would suffice.
So, here we go…
|Types of Watches|
|Automatic watches||A self-winding type of mechanical watch which requires winding for it to work. Often referred to as a mechanical watch.|
|Chronograph watches||A stopwatch combined with a display watch.|
|Diver watches||A watch designed for underwater diving more than 300ft below water.|
|Quartz watch||A watch powered by a battery which uses an electronic oscillator that is regulated by a quartz crystal to keep time. They are the most accurate watches. Most watches with the tick-tock sounds are quartz watches.|
|Mechanical watches||A type of watch that is powered by a mainspring which requires periodical winding to continue working. Often regarded as analog watches.|
|Military watches||These are watches that are fit for use in any location, any altitude, any weather condition, underwater and must withstand a whole lot of stress. A watch fit for a military personnel that is always on the move.|
|Aviator watches||Watches that are fit for pilots as well as astronauts.|
|Sports watches||Sports watches often encompass stopwatches, distance trackers and a regular digital display watch worn for sporting activities.|
Now I believe you know some of the types of watches that you might possibly find in a watch shop or perhaps when you want to buy a watch online.
Next, we’ll delve into the guide proper. Please fasten your seat belts cos you’re going to be wowed by this journey…
Just like most other products, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself when you start thinking about buying a watch. AskMen and Tourneau highlight some of those questions… You might want to check it out.
- How much money do I have?
- When will I be wearing it?
- What type of watch should I buy?
- What brand suits my personality?
- What case style would I love?
- What about the complications of a watch?
Below, I’ve tried to answer these questions about buying mens watches in the best way possible.
- How much money do I have? This is the first question you need to answer if you intend to buy any watch. The fact that you are on a budget doesn’t mean that you should choose an inferior watch. There are nice watches up for grab for less than $100, $200, $500 and $1000. They pricey watches, however, tend to have more features and complications than the less expensive ones.
- When will I be wearing it? Are you going for an interview, a date, a social function, to the gym or a business meeting? You might want to calm down and choose the right watch for the moment. You surely wouldn’t want to look out of place wearing a diver’s watch to a business meeting, or would you? When you determine on what occasion you need to wear the watch, then you have answered the third question below…
- What type of watch should I buy? When you will be wearing a watch determines what type of watch you should buy except, of course, you just want to buy any available men’s watch. You could choose an analog or digital watch irrespective of the fact that it is automatic or military grade.
- What brand suits my personality? A brand is more than just a name they say. This may be true to an extent, however, a brand communicates one’s status, lifestyle and personal taste – Tourneau. If you want to pass such a message across to people you interact with, then you should go for a watch brand that has such qualities and is still within your budget.
- What case style would I love? Square, oval, round, big or small? What are you looking for in a case?
- What about the complications of a watch? If your watch does more than tell you the time, then one can dare say the watch has one or more complications. What are complications? They are simply extra additional features of a watch such as a dual time zone, a chronograph, a tourbillion, a moon phase, a date display etc.
How has the journey been so far? Great I guess?
Here are some other important things to note when buying a watch.
- The Gold Marks: The Gold Marks of a watch refer to the quality and amount of gold used in making a watch.
- 18k – 75% pure gold
- 14k – 58% pure gold
- 10k – 42% pure gold
The higher the gold mark of a watch, the more expensive the watch is.
- The Watch Crystal: This refers to the cover of the watch screen. It could be made of plexiglass which scratches easily, synthetic sapphire which breaks easily but is scratch resistant, and mineral glass which is scratch resistant but breaks easily.
- Watch Band/Straps: Most watches come in either leather or metal straps or bands. Choose what suits you.
- Watch Movement: This refers to the mechanism through which the watch tells time. Most watches have their mechanisms covered, while others have their movements shown, so anyone can see the intricate details that make a watch work. Mechanical watches use the winding movements whilst most other clocks use the quartz movement.
- Extra features such as the following
- Audible alarm
- Perpetual calendar – a continuous non-stop calendar that needs no setting
- Tachymeter – A tachymeter measures the speed a watch wearer has travelled over a distance specified by the wearer.
- Weight: The watch you are buying should feel like a watch and not a toy. The components of a watch can make it either heavy or light… buying something heavy would make you feel uncomfortable.
- “Swiss Made” Mark: Swiss watches are often high end luxury wristwatches whose movements are made in Switzerland, cased and inspected in accordance with strict laws governing the watch making industry in the country. These watches bear the “SWISS MADE” mark. Beware of fakes!
Hey, a nice watch would surely need a nice suit. You need to read the following epic articles…
I’m pretty sure you enjoyed the ride. We are taking another one soon. Till then, go buy yourself something nice.
And lest I forget, here’s a Real Men Real Style Video that highlights some of our tips on buying mens watches …
Done watching the video?
Here’s The Luxury Watch Buying Guide
“What luxury watch should I buy?” “Where can I buy a cheap one?” These are probably two of the very important questions that fly through the minds of individuals as they walk into a watch shop or start viewing a watch catalog on any of the online stores that sell luxury watches. A luxury watch is not just a timepiece that tells time, it distinguishes itself with the aura of class and craftsmanship that goes alongside its aesthetic value which often outlives fashion trends.
Buying a luxury watch isn’t a big deal, I mean, you’ve got the money, so there’s no harm in getting a nice luxury wristwatch for yourself. But here’s the catch…
What if you end up making a mistake? You wouldn’t want that, would you? Of course not.
Here are a handful of things to look out for when buying luxury watches for men…
- Value Retention: The first thing to note about a luxury watch is the value retention ability of the watch. It would suffice to say that watches are like cars – their value will most likely begin to depreciate as soon as you buy it – however, in the near future, the value may increase. Rolex watches are some of the best luxury watches with great retention value.
- Maintenance: You’ll need to take your watch to a certified jeweler, a watchmaker if ever your watch begins to tell time inaccurately. Don’t take it to just anyone or you’d risk damaging the timepiece beyond repair.
- Style Versatility: It would be great if one could buy as many luxury watches as they want, but the truth is that, no one ever wants to spend all their hard earned cash on a timepiece, no matter how enticing it looks. It is therefore, important to buy a luxury watch that has a bit of style versatility – you could wear it for a socialite event, a business meeting, an evening walk to the grocery store in a casual outfit without needing to take it off your wrist.
- New or Used? If you are not so keen about spending a lot on a new watch, there is a great chance of finding a used luxury watch that looks just as good as a new one. Please buy from reputable dealers! And vintage watches aren’t a bad idea, although it is important to buy one that is valuable.
- Water and Shock Resistant: These are very important. You cannot tell what will happen the next minute – you could get drenched in rain or playfully pushed into the pool by your buddy – having a luxury watch with a great feature like this would be an added advantage.
Want more information on what to look out for when buying a luxury watch? Ariel Adams shared some important tips on A Blog to Watch!
Equipped with the aforementioned list of things to consider, let us now proceed to the different classes of luxury watches for men and women alike.
|Category||Price Range (depending on brand)|
|Entry/ Basic/ Low-Level Luxury Watches||Under $2,000|
|Mid-Level Luxury Watches||From $2,000 to $20,000|
|High-End Luxury Watches||From $20,000 to $2 million +|
It is obvious that it’s not everyone that can afford to buy an expensive watch for themselves, but that is not enough reason to buy a fake or a replica.
Below are 3 reasons why you shouldn’t buy a replica or a fake watch!
- It’s just illegal. Don’t buy it! You could get caught and the watch seized, and your money gone. Think about that!
- Fake watches are for fake people. Are you fake? Would you like to lose your reputation?
- It surely wouldn’t last, and you’ll regret it!
Did you know that watches had rules too? Maybe not. Well, here are a few Rules J. A Shapira shared on Gentleman’s Gazette.
- Wear your watch on the wrist that suits you.
- Don’t wear a dive/sport watch with a suit. It’s unheard of!
- Wear dark colored watches with dark colored outfits!
- Admire someone else’s watch from a distance.
- Don’t wear an oversized watch. You wouldn’t want people to think you stole it from Big Momma!
- Stay away from jewel encrusted watches if you can! It draws unnecessary attention, and I’m sure you wouldn’t like the “unnecessary attention”, or would you? Just let the celebrities deal with the bling.
Which brands make the best luxury watches for men?
A lot of brands make quality luxury watches, but some have been exceptional. Below are a few companies that produce some of the best luxury watches the world has ever seen!
- Audemars Piguet
- Vacheron Constantin
- Patek Phillipe
- Ulysse Nardin
- Piaget SA
- Bell & Ross
- Bremont Watch Company
- TAG Heuer
- Louis Moinet
- A.Lange & Sohne
Let your friends know! Share this piece! Hasta la vista…